Actifio Transforms Unix Data Protection and Cloning.
Dramatically improve Unix backup and recovery windows. Reduce defects and improve development efficiency by delivering automated clones of Unix databases.
Actifio provides a comprehensive copy data management solution for applications and file systems running on Unix systems such as HP-UX, IBM AIX, and Solaris.
Not only does Actifio protect Unix data with better server backups, it delivers a more efficient means to provision and extend Unix databases for development and test data management.
Unix and Linux servers require high-performance data protection that captures application data in its native format.
Very large databases in these environments are frequently challenged by excessively long backup windows and unacceptably lengthy recoveries.
This can cause production interruptions as well as negatively impacting application development and testing.
In addition, maintaining multiple data copies for backup, as well as development and QA can consume large amounts of expensive physical storage and added costs for data movement.
1 / 1
HOW Actifio HELPS
Using Actifio for Unix Backup enables highly efficient incremental forever backup which results in rapid performance that minimizes the impact on production applications by up to 10x.
Actifio also dramatically accelerates data recovery by enabling instant recovery of even the largest datasets in minutes. Recovered volumes can be accessed instantly and require virtually no additional disk space.
Users running databases in Unix can leverage Actifio to instantly provision database copies to accelerate development, testing, and code quality.
Actifio workflows can rapidly feed data to masking and subsetting processes with push-button automation. Rework requirements and development lifecycles are reduced, while geographically distributed development teams have the data they need with support from Actifio’s robust local/remote site synchronization.
Actifio also includes a RESTful API that provides programmatic control and extension which opens the power of Actifio’s Virtual Data Pipeline (VDP) platform to service providers and third-party management tools.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Actifio VDP is the patented core Virtual Data Pipeline technology that can be consumed in multiple form factors.
Actifio Sky is a VM appliance that runs Actifio VDP engine and can be provisioned in a public cloud VM or on-premises in VMware, Hyper-V VMs.
Actifio CDS/CDX is a physical appliance cluster that runs Actifio VDP engine with High Availability and is typically used on-premises.
Actifio’s pricing model is very simple and easy to understand. It’s based on the amount of source data protected. For example: If an enterprise wants to use Actifio to protect 5 database instances, each with 10 TB source database size, the enterprise would need Actifio license for 50 TB of source data. Enterprises can use this license anywhere in the public cloud or on-premises.
Following are the key comparisons:
- Full vs Incremental forever backup for databases: Legacy vendors perform recurring full backups while Actifio performs app consistent incremental forever backups using native APIs.
- Large vs Instant recovery time: RTO with legacy vendors is large because of restoring from their proprietary backup format. Compare this with Actifio’s instant recovery where it can recover even a 100 TB database in just minutes.
- Lack of automated test data management for DevOps: Legacy vendors don’t have a self-service, storage-efficient, automated test data management to create database clones. Compare this with Actifio which reuses its backups to provision database clones in just minutes with self-service and automation.
Following are the key comparisons:
- Low vs High Performance post instant recovery: While mounting backups from deduplication appliances might be instant, the deduplication format on commodity storage impacts the IO performance significantly. Users just can’t run mission-critical databases from such appliances. Compare this with Actifio which stores backups in its native format on any storage tier, thus delivering the raw native performance of the underlying storage.
- None vs High flexibility for storage and storage protocols: With deduplication appliance vendors users are locked into whatever storage the vendor’s supply and typically the only interface supported is NFS. Compare this with Actifio which allows users to specify any storage vendor with the right performance metrics, thus eliminating storage vendor lock-in. Moreover, users have complete flexibility to backup, recover, and mount over Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and NFS protocols.
- Lack of automated test data management for DevOps: Deduplication appliance vendors don’t offer a self-service, storage-efficient, automated test data management. Compare this with Actifio which reuses backups to provision database clones in just minutes with self-service and automation.
- High vs Low Cloud TCO: The scaleout deduplication appliance vendors support very few public cloud providers. They also need a very large amount of compute to protect cloud resident workloads with a minimum of 3-4 node clusters, thus driving up the cloud costs. Compare that with Actifio which needs very small compute to protect workloads, leverages cloud block and/or object storage and even delivers instant recovery from cloud object storage.
The Actifio Connector, a lightweight process installed on Solaris, HP-UX, or AIX hosts, provides advanced data backup and recovery capabilities. With the Actifio Connector, application consistency is assured while database logs on the host are truncated after the snapshot and new devices and mounts are efficiently added. All of this serves to prepare application volumes for a fast and efficient recovery operation.
Actifio can instantly restore Unix data by presenting a volume containing a protected copy of the required information from the designated point in time. That volume would be mounted directly to the Unix server and would immediately be brought online and available for instant access. No data movement is required when presenting this volume and so the process takes minutes regardless of data size. The volume is fully read write enabled as well.