Modern Hyper-V Data Protection.
Enterprises are using Actifio software for rapid backup and instant recovery of Hyper-V VMs.
Actifio provides the most comprehensive solution for data protection and recovery of Hyper-V VMs and application data, on-premises, in a public cloud, or in Azure Stack.
Actifio software delivers large scale instant recovery of Hyper-V VMs to minimize downtime and automate disaster recovery.
Enterprises using legacy backup architectures face multiple data management challenges:
Instant recovery not scalable – Instant recovery from deduplicated backups limits recoveries to just a few VMs. Because these systems can’t scale, simultaneous recovery for 100s of VMs is not possible.
Complex Hybrid Cloud recovery – Recovering Hyper-V VMs in the public cloud is complex and labor intensive when using native cloud tools causing extended Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs).
High TCO for Hybrid Cloud recovery – High compute and block storage costs are required to store and recover on-premises Hyper-V VMs in the public cloud.
1 / 3
HOW Actifio HELPS
Delivering a highly efficient incremental backup and instant recovery process in minutes, regardless of VM size.
Actifio shortens Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) with efficient incremental forever backups using Actifio Change Block Tracking (CBT) technology or using Actifio connectors for VMs with databases.
Users can set retention of backups in cloud object storage for days to decades. Accelerated RTO is enabled by instant mount and recovery directly from cloud object storage to on-premises Hyper-V environments.
In the event of a disaster, a customer can provision an on-demand Actifio Sky in the cloud can and recover applications to on-demand cloud compute instances.
“We have realized a significant reduction in our storage footprint, extended capabilities across on-prem and cloud, and eliminated multiple solutions needed to do what Actifio can do by itself.”
Gartner Peer Insight Customer Review – Global Consulting Company
Actifio helps organizations to outperform their peers by becoming truly data driven.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Actifio’s pricing model is very simple and easy to understand. It’s based on the amount of source data protected. For example: If an enterprise wants to use Actifio to protect 5 Hyper-V instances, each with 10 TB source database size, the enterprise would need Actifio license for 50 TB of source data. Enterprises can use this license in any public cloud or on-premises in VMs or physical servers.
For more details, refer to this licensing page.
Actifio VDP is the patented core Virtual Data Pipeline technology that can be consumed in multiple form factors.
Actifio Sky is a VM appliance that runs Actifio VDP engine and can be provisioned in a public cloud VM or on-premises in Hyper-V, Hyper-v VMs.
Actifio CDS/CDX is a physical appliance cluster that runs Actifio VDP engine with High Availability and is typically used on-premises.
Yes. Actifio supports all major public cloud providers such as Azure, Oracle, AWS, IBM, and Google. It’s also available in some of the public cloud marketplaces.
Following are the key comparisons:
- Full vs Incremental forever backup for Hyper-V VMs: Legacy vendors need to perform recurring full backups while Actifio performs incremental forever backups.
- Large vs Instant recovery time: RTO with legacy vendors is large because of restoring from their proprietary backup format. Compare this with Actifio’s instant recovery where it can recover even a 50+ TB Hyper-V VM in just minutes.
- Scalable Instant Recovery: Legacy vendors perform instant recovery of Hyper-V VMs out of deduplicated storage which limits performance post recovery. Actifio uses native format for backup and scales very well post recovery.
Following are the key comparisons:
- Low vs High Performance post instant recovery: While mounting backups from deduplication appliances might be instant, the deduplication format on commodity storage impacts the IO performance significantly. Compare this with Actifio which stores backups in its native Hyper-V format on any storage tier, thus delivering the raw native performance of the underlying storage.
- None vs High flexibility for storage and storage protocols: With deduplication appliance vendors users are locked into whatever storage the vendor’s supply. Typically, deduplication appliances only offer NFS for backup and mount. Compare this with Actifio which allows users to specify any storage vendor with the right performance metrics, thus eliminating storage vendor lock-in. Moreover, users have complete flexibility to backup, mount, and recover over Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and NFS protocols.
- High vs Low Cloud TCO: The scaleout deduplication appliance vendors support very few public cloud providers. They also need a very large amount of compute to protect cloud resident workloads with a minimum of 3-4 node clusters, thus driving up 24×7 cloud costs. Compare this with Actifio which needs very small compute to protect cloud resident workloads, leverages cloud block and/or object storage and even delivers instant recovery from cloud object storage.
Actifio stores the Hyper-V backups in native Hyper-V format. This ensures that, after instant mount and recovery, there is no performance overhead because of format conversion.
The other factor to consider is the storage on which the Hyper-V backups are stored by Actifio.
Depending on the performance requirements after instant recovery or provisioning database clones to test/dev users, enterprises can specify the right storage tier to use with Actifio.
And lastly, Actifio also offers the flexibility to instantly mount and recover over Fibre Channel or iSCSI or NFS depending upon the user preference.
Thus the performance can be as good as the underlying storage and the protocol the user wants to use.