Data Management for Hyper-Converged Infrastructure
Actifio virtualizes enterprise data to enable sophisticated data management using Hyper-Converged Infrastructure.
Delivering powerful data virtualization capabilities and flexible data management across Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) and cloud environments, Actifio helps customers protect their data while accelerating production, application development, and analytics.
Actifio and HCI combine to improve business resiliency, efficiency, and availability. Actifio’s technology enables businesses to deliver copy data management data-as-a-service, cost-effectively, and simply across a wide range of use cases, including even the most extensive data workloads.
Hyper-Converged can simplify infrastructure, but there still can be integration challenges.
Virtual machines need to be migrated. Existing storage needs integration. Moreover, what about data management, security, backup, or Disaster Recovery (DR) plans?
Other data-related issues may include application-aware data management, data automation limitations, self-service capabilities for developers, and vendor-specific data movement techniques that may impact cloud options and future flexibility.
1 / 2
HOW Actifio HELPS
Actifio Virtualizes and Simplifies Data Management for Hyper-Converged Infrastructure.
Actifio HCI solutions are easy to design and deploy. Even new users can get started quickly with a single workload or use case and then expand seamlessly. Actifio accelerates business overall, managing and moving data anywhere; on-premises or in multiple public clouds.
Actifio VDP is the patented core Virtual Data Pipeline technology that can be consumed in multiple form factors.
Actifio Sky is a VM appliance that runs Actifio VDP engine and can be provisioned in a public cloud VM or on-premises in VMware, Hyper-V VMs.
Actifio CDS/CDX is a physical appliance cluster that runs Actifio VDP engine with High Availability and is typically used on-premises.
Actifio’s pricing model is very simple and easy to understand. It’s based on the amount of source data protected. For example: If an enterprise wants to use Actifio to protect 5 database instances, each with 10 TB source database size, the enterprise would need Actifio license for 50 TB of source data. Enterprises can use this license anywhere in the public cloud or on-premises.
Following are the key comparisons:
- Full vs Incremental forever backup for databases: Legacy vendors perform recurring full backups while Actifio performs app consistent incremental forever backups using native APIs.
- Large vs Instant recovery time: RTO with legacy vendors is large because of restoring from their proprietary backup format. Compare this with Actifio’s instant recovery where it can recover even a 100 TB database in just minutes.
- Lack of automated test data management for DevOps: Legacy vendors don’t have a self-service, storage-efficient, automated test data management to create database clones. Compare this with Actifio which reuses its backups to provision database clones in just minutes with self-service and automation.
Following are the key comparisons:
- Low vs High Performance post instant recovery: While mounting backups from deduplication appliances might be instant, the deduplication format on commodity storage impacts the IO performance significantly. Users just can’t run mission-critical databases from such appliances. Compare this with Actifio which stores backups in its native format on any storage tier, thus delivering the raw native performance of the underlying storage.
- None vs High flexibility for storage and storage protocols: With deduplication appliance vendors users are locked into whatever storage the vendor’s supply and typically the only interface supported is NFS. Compare this with Actifio which allows users to specify any storage vendor with the right performance metrics, thus eliminating storage vendor lock-in. Moreover, users have complete flexibility to backup, recover, and mount over Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and NFS protocols.
- Lack of automated test data management for DevOps: Deduplication appliance vendors don’t offer a self-service, storage-efficient, automated test data management. Compare this with Actifio which reuses backups to provision database clones in just minutes with self-service and automation.
- High vs Low Cloud TCO: The scaleout deduplication appliance vendors support very few public cloud providers. They also need a very large amount of compute to protect cloud resident workloads with a minimum of 3-4 node clusters, thus driving up the cloud costs. Compare that with Actifio which needs very small compute to protect workloads, leverages cloud block and/or object storage and even delivers instant recovery from cloud object storage.
Yes. Validated solutions help reduce risk and speed deployment with vendor-authorized reference architectures.
HCI systems can grow seamlessly from single rack and workload to multi-data-center implementation.