Hopefully, you have seen our CEO Ash’s blog on Actifio’s Enterprise Data-as-a-Service (EDaaS) revolution as the next big thing. We are truly excited about what DAAS being the final lynchpin that completes the required capability for our customers to truly realize the vision of hybrid cloud.
An Actifio powered EDaaS hybrid cloud will provide the following benefits to our customers,
- Agile – Providing instant access to data, anywhere,
- Resilient – With data protection built right in, instead of bolted on,
- Independent – Meaning no vendor lock-in, on the box or in the cloud,
- Secure – Hardened for enterprise security, governance, and
- Scalable – From a single application to a global enterprise.
Today, I would like to focus on the “secure” benefit. Our customers have been telling us for years that by deploying Actifio they “felt” better protected against,
- Data resiliency (data loss, corruption, and site outage)
- Infrastructure security
The first benefit is a well known Actifio attribute so I won’t go into it with much details in this blog but rather focus on infrastructure security. To be frank, initially we were kind of surprised that customers believe our solution provides value in infrastructure security. So we finally asked a few of our forward thinking customer CIOs why? They told us Actifio’s EDaaS benefits security in the following high level ways:
- Significant reduction in infrastructure attack surface
- Ability to instantly bring back systems that have been attacked at near full production performance with fine granularity
- Instant application stack reconstitution (both data and VMs) for security scans
- DevOps automated workflow to mask production data prior to giving to the test team or big data analytics
- High speed and low RPO replication of the entire application stack for remote vaulting with full history
Significant reduction in infrastructure attack surface – With Actifio’s EDaaS, our customers design a SLA that encompasses the entire application and data lifecycle. This approach not only drastically simplifies the customer’s management requirements and reduced the number of copies (and cost), it also represent a full accounting and controlled access point for your data. A high number of security incidents in the past have been focused on third party gaining access to a lost copy data. Actifio significant reduced this attack surface and provide a single control point for how employees access the copy data.
In this 24×7 new world, application downtime is a very unpleasant subject. Imagine if a hacker penetrated your network and ransom encrypt your data, how fast can you bring application back online to a state just prior to that event? This is another area that Actifio shines, from daily VM RPO or continuous database granularity, we can reconstitute your entire application stack back online either locally or in a remote location near instantly regardless your data size. This is great insurance against that “what if” scenario.
One philosophy in security is that hackers can’t attack what is not there. Through the automated Actifio DevOps workflow data masking process, our customer can keep the sensitive data in production and only provide post masked data for testing and analytics. This is how we can help!
Let’s be perfectly clear, Actifio is not a security product! We do not scan your network for vulnerability, detect intrusions, or do identity management. However, we do provide you with an agile infrastructure that is less prone to attack, reacts faster after an incident, and designed in the right way, and is more resilient to potential penetration. We recently announced a partnership with Cybric which is developing a comprehensive continuous security delivery fabric on Actifio. Actifio’s strength in protection of customer’s production environment, copy data virtualization, and industry leading capability in DevOps attracted Cybric to support the Actifio platform.
If you found this article helpful, please share.